Skip to content
Article I – Name
- The name of the association shall be the Eastern Piedmont Beekeepers Association.
Article II – Purpose
- The purposes of the association are to assist its members and others interested in bees with their beekeeping skills; to provide those interested in bees an opportunity to meet for discussion; to cooperate with the Piedmont area schools and the University System of Georgia, the Georgia Department of Agriculture, the United States Department of Agriculture, and other Agriculture Societies; to disseminate the latest beekeeping information, to encourage new beekeepers, and to facilitate the exchange of bees, bee products, and beekeeping equipment; and to provide those interested in bees the opportunity to gather together for fellowship on a regular basis.
Article III – Membership
- Any person interested in bees is eligible for membership in the organization.
- Such persons may become a member upon the approval of a request to the Chairman, and by payment of the annual family membership fee of $10.00. Student membership (high school and younger) will only be $7.50. The membership shall be from January 1 through December 31. Dues will be prorated on a quarterly basis for new members only. The charge will be $2.50 per quarter and any fraction thereof.
- Membership is not transferable. New members may be given a manual of procedure of good practice for keeping bees as published by the Georgia Department of Agriculture, “Beginning Beekeeping.”
- Membership shall be on an annual basis as outlined in Section 2. Dues become payable on January 1 of each year. In order to vote a member must be a paid-up member in good standing. Each $10.00 family membership is entitled to one vote; additional annual voting privileges within a family may be purchased for $5.00 per person. Only members in good standing who are present can enter contest.
Article IV – Fiscal Year Meeting
- The fiscal year of the organization shall begin on January 1 and end on the following December 31.
- Regular meetings of the association shall be held monthly on the first Monday evening of the month at 7:00 P.M. at the Lanier Technical College Winder-Barrow Campus 965 Austin Rd, Winder, GA 30680. The Chairman may change the time and location of the meeting. Not less than 5 days notice shall be given prior to any such change.
- The nomination meeting of the association shall be held at the October meeting. The election of officers shall be held at the November meeting. Elected officers shall assume office January 1.
- Special meetings may be called by the Chairman, or may be called upon request, in writing, or by the Board of Directors. Not less than 5 days written notice shall be given prior to any such special meeting.
- Notice of the time and place of each regular meeting of the association shall be given to each member at least 8 days previous to such meeting.
Article V – Directors and Officers
- The officers of the association shall be a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and a Treasurer. The term of each such office shall be one year.
- The Board of Directors of the Association shall consist of the officers of the association, namely Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, and the Newsletter Editor.
- The Chairman may appoint any member in good standing to fill the un expired term of any resigning officer.
Article VI – Duties of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall direct the business and affairs of the association and make the rules and regulations of the use of its services by its members, consistent with these By-laws.
- No Director, officer, or members of the association shall receive directly of indirectly, any salary or compensation for services rendered this association either as such director or officer or in any other capacity.
- A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any meeting of the Board.
Article VII – Duties of Officers
- The Chairman shall:
- Preside over all meetings of the association and the Board of Directors.
- Call special meetings of the association and of the Board of Directors.
- Perform all acts and duties required of an executive and presiding officer including the appointment of various committees that may be required for the proper function of the association.
- The Nomination Committee shall consist of 5 members of the association, two of whom shall be appointed by the Chairman and three to be elected by the membership body at the regular September meeting. The committee’s recommendations for officers shall be submitted at the October meeting. Nominations may also be made from the floor. Consent should be obtained from the nominees proposed for office before submitting their names to the membership.
- The Auditing Committee, consisting of the association members, at least one of whom shall be the Vice Chairman who shall act as Chairman, shall be appointed by the association Chairman. Their duties shall be to audit the books of the Treasurer and make a report at the November meeting.
- The Newsletter Committee, consisting of the officers of the association. The committee will appoint a Newsletter Editor. The Newsletter Editor will be a member of the Board of Directors.
- In the absence of the Chairman, or because of his disability or inability to serve, the Vice Chairman shall perform all duties of the office.
- The Secretary shall:
- Keep a complete record of all meetings of the associaton and of the Board of Directors.
- Perform such other duties as may be required by the Board of Directors.
- Write letters as directed by the Chairman and/or Board of Directors.
- Notify the officers and all members of committees of their appointment.
- Serve all notices required by law and these By-laws.
- Keep a complete list of members, their addresses, and phone numbers.
- The Treasurer shall:
- Maintain a complete record of all physical property and equipment owned by the association, and the location of the same.
- Sign as Treasurer all checks and other obligations of the association.
- Receive and disburse all funds, and be custodian of all the securities of the association.
- Keep a full and accurate account of all the financial transactions of the association in books belonging to the association, and deliver such books to his successor in office.
- Make a full report of all matters and business pertaining to this office to the membership at the November meeting, and to directors, whenever requested.
- Deposit all monies of the association in the name and to the credit of the association in such depositories as may be designated from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- Turn over to the Chairman the record of all monies received from membership.
- Notify those who have not paid their dies that they are due.
Article VIII – Regular Meeting Procedures
- Five members of the organization shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at regular meetings. A committee requires a majority of its members for a quorum.
- Any Officer or Director who carries two titles, i.e. Editor, and Secretary, shall have only one vote.
- The order of business for all meeting of the organization, unless changed by a majority vote of members present, shall be as follows:
- Call to order
- Reading of minutes of the last meeting
- Reports of Officers
- Reports of Committees
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- Acceptance and presentations of new members and guest
- In parliamentary matters “Roberts Rules of Order, Revised” Shall be used in all cases where they are applicable, subject to the By-laws of the organization.
- Payment of all bills shall be made upon the approval, by a majority vote, of members at a regular meeting.
Article IX – Insurance
- The Eastern Piedmont Beekeepers Association will not carry any type of insurance for the association of its members.
Article X – Amendments
- These By-Laws may be amended at any meeting of the Association of which members shall be given at least 10 days’ notice. By a ¾ vote of paid-up members present, and that the proposed amendment be read at the meeting of the association prior to said meeting and that the notice of such proposed amendment shall have been included in the call for the said meeting.